Paper for a record jacket

Can anybody recommend a paper choice for printing a jacket for vinyl records?

The two sides will be printed individually using polymer for the composition.

I was thinking in the 300gsm range. My concern with using lettra 110 is the ease at which it’s ruined by a dirty finger.
Anyone come across this issue?

Log in to reply   10 replies so far

I believe the paper stock used in the past would be a Coated one side enamel sheet like Carolina Blanks by International Paper.

Paper, coated or uncoated, laminated to smooth chipboard would be the common materials of a vintage record jacket. A loose cotton-fiber paper like Lettera might be abrasive.

Each record has an inner sleeve so i’ll be looking more for structure. Would neenah blotter paper be suitable for this?

Stumptown Printers has brown chipboard LP sleeves.

I have used Stumptown’s chipboard CD sleeves and they work very well.

i’ve actually tried a sample from them, the issue is that they crease and sometimes break when bending around my cylinder, I’m printing on a sp-15 type press

A 12 x 12 inch record jacket is too big for an SP15 to print.

Using 12pt C1S would score pretty good. But to accomodate the flaps for gluing would be too wide for the max paper size for the press.

Dorado also sells blanks but charge extra for them to be unglued.

Do you not buy stocks with consideration to the grain direction to reduce the risk of wrinkling on your cylinder ?
Can i ask too is your chipboard as you call it grey in colour , we have chipboard in the uk but its not a paper ! They use it in place of wood to make crap furniture and pallets.!
In the uk i would look for what we call one sided cast coated board, The finish can be matt or gloss and is available in quite heavy weights , i dont have any info to hand but will put something here for you tomorrow you may find your own equivalent us style .

Again, the differing US and UK terminology gets in the way of communication. In the US chipboard is a paper product, maybe something like your strawboard, but smoother. What you call chipboard is here called fiberboard, or perhaps random strandboard.
C1s seems to be common parlance.

D heff
The card i had in mind comes in matt or gloss and the weights go up to 500 gsm in some finishes . If you google TRUCARD you will be able to look at the info on it, The supplier wont help you much as they are uk but the paper maker is Tullis Russell and you must have an agent for them on your side of the pond . We use a medium weight of this in the uk for greeting card etc.