German Type

We got this set of type on ebay from Germany. It’s made of a plastic material similar to Bakelite. Any ideas what it’s called?

image: german1.jpg


image: german2.jpg


Log in to reply   3 replies so far

Don’t know what the face is called, but be aware that U. S. and U. K. type height is 0.918”, whereas German type height is 0.928”. This 0.010” is not a whole lot but you should allow for it if you’re printing or proofing that type along with U. S height! Might also have to carve out the crossbar in the 7’s.

Several German manufacturers used this kind of material, Berthold for instance, sold it under the name of Plakadur.

The typeface is Fanfare - manufactured H. Berthold, Berlin
Gott grüß die Kunst