Lead spacer shelf - help Identify

Does anyone know what this lead organizer shelf/storage is called? I recently saw this in a studio in Germany. Its a small tabletop shelf or cabinet(?) that stores lead spacers vertically.

Anyone know what to call it so I can look it up in google?

image: pic.jpg


Log in to reply   2 replies so far

Put “letterpress reglet cabinet” into Google images. Reglets are wood spacing material, usually in 6 pt and 12 pt thicknesses, and in various lengths. These cabinets can also be used for metal spacing in 2 pt and 6 pt thicknesses, but there are other types of cabinets for those as well. We call the metal spacing: leads (2 pt), and slugs (6 pt).

They’re called ‘Reglettenhalter’ in German, and were part of the different elements that made up the typesetting workshop, and could be adjusted to take different lengths of leading or reglets. Süddeutsches Bleisatzkontor still sells them secondhand.

image: Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 09.39.12.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 09.39.12.png