Casting rollers

As a youngster growing up in a weekly newspaper shop in the mid-1930s, I can recall seeing an iron device then no longer used that my father told me was used to cast composition rollers for a 10x15 C&P press. He said that the composition was heated in a double boiler over water and poured into the two-piece mold, which formed around the iron core wrapped with twine inserted previously. Anyone else ever heard of such a device or seen one?

Log in to reply   1 reply so far

Neil, Check out Tarheel Roller & Brayer Co. web site. There is a link in the Yellow Pages section of Briar Press. Just look under rollers. They do very nice work. The site shows all the steps in casting rollers.