Wood type identification

Please help me identify this wood type set. What’s a little confusing is the addition of the “German” letters with the oomlats ( please excuse the spelling if incorrect). Were those sold as extra letters or was the set originally sold as a German set? There are no manufacturer’s marks on any of the characters.

image: IMG_0160.JPG


image: IMG_0164.JPG


Log in to reply   4 replies so far

Those dots are called ‘Umlaut’, and you’re talking about a ‘fount’ and not a ‘set’. Most European typefoundries and manufacturers of wood type would deliver with the four most commonly used accents for European languages: á, à, â, ä, é, è, ê, ë, í, ì, î, ï, ó, ò, ô, ö, ú, ù, û, ü. Very few continental manufacturers marked their wood type, that seems to be more common in the USA.

American origin is still a possibility. There was once enough German-language printing in the US that there were a few German locals of the Typographical Union.

Any ideas on the font name?

The once ubiquitous Cheltenham Bold Condensed, surprisingly unused.