Wood type maker’s mark = 98?

I’ve been sorting brought some new sets of type, and came a across a set of Cheltenham condensed that has a maker’s mark of “98.” Anyone have background on the manufacturer that used this mark?



Log in to reply   2 replies so far

I don’t think that ‘98’ is a maker’s mark, but marking put on the type by a printer/buyer, who probably used that mark to find the location where it was stored, or some other reason.
Perhaps others may know the real meaning.
Dave Greer.

It will be the number in the manufacturer’s catalogue. DeLittle in the UK stamped the numbers on its type, I believe on both the Cap A and lower case a.