Name this table top press?

Hello, I’m new to the discussion here.

I’ve been in correspondence with a gentleman that is offering this 4x6 press for sale, but he doesn’t know anything about it and can’t find any markings.

Is anyone familiar with this model?

image: Image 1

Image 1

image: Image 2

Image 2

Log in to reply   8 replies so far

As long as it prints and hasn’t got broken and welded parts, go for it. To me, it looks like another of these German presses, that were manufactured by Krause, Hogenforst and the likes…

Thanks Thomas - I was considering a trip this weekend to see it. I know it is missing the rubber roller sleeves, so I was hoping to gather some more info ahead of time to see if replacement parts are (somewhat) readily available.

The one roller rod looks to be a bit bent, and could be straightened, but otherwise it looks like everything is there, even the chase appears to be in place. The rollers are there, but just need recovering, so you should be “good to go.”

That little press will do some excellent work. You will only need to clean it up and get the rollers recovered — I would suggest getting soft rubber on them. The mechanism is a copy of the Golding Official, to my mind the best and probably among the strongest ever built. Because of the way the platen operates you can print a portion of a very much larger piece of paper than the platen size — I have printed along a 4 inch by 35 inch strip a little at a time!


I think you are mistaken this press for a Golding “Map press”; a press designed to print exactly as you describe. The design of this “unknown” press, as depicted in pictures, appears to have a more upright platen. The printing area is also interrupted on one side by the handle when on impression- negating the ability to print across wide substrates with small forms as you describe.

Wishful thinking though!

I have a similar press with a bigger platten.
Most likely European, and they did very good work on their copies.
It is well built and prints beautifully.


I’m still trying to arrange a viewing of the press, but thanks to all for the information thus far. I’ll post more photos if/when I have then.

My press on which I printed a 35 inch strip is a Sigwalt Nonpareil, a very close copy of the Official using the same mechanism. Because it does not have the side arms pulling the platen up, like the Pilot and similar presses, both sides of the platen are in the clear on impression with no obstructions, and the extra paper can hang off three sides of the platen as far as you want. But you can only reach the center of about a 12 inch sheet vertically, so to print all over the sheet it can’t be more than about 12 inches by whatever.