What is this? And can it print type high?

Hello All,

I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains… My search for a flatbed printer continues and I have spied this printer on the USA ebay, but was wondering if it could print type high and what its history might be. I’ve had a look for the company online but can find nothing at all about it. The seller states that it was made by ‘Display equipment company’. I thought that it might be similar to Vandercook’s Showcard press or the French Sofadi (see I’ve been doing my research!) as the rods suggest to me a specific wooden type might be used. So there is another question, if it does use a specific type could ordinary type be substituted? Thanks for any pointers.



image: Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 19.46.10.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 19.46.10.png

image: Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 19.45.56.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 19.45.56.png

image: Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 19.45.39.png

Screen Shot 2012-10-05 at 19.45.39.png

Log in to reply   3 replies so far

The galleys use specific type that has a groove on the back.
I have some of those. Some of the showcard presses used that kind of type too, is my understanding.
The ones I have were made by Hamilton.
But I’m sure you could use different galleys and use regular type.
Also, just get a bed plate and don’t use galleys, maybe just galley magnets.

We just had one by the same manufacturer sell for $100 at the Great Northern Printers Fair. The one we had was oblong. It was about 8 or 9 inches wide and about two feet long. Same paint color and same label as this one. It also had and adjustable impression setting so you could dial in the thickness of the paper you were going to print on.


I really do enjoy picking your collective brain.. thank you. As it happens I’ve just got hold of a Line-o-scribe, so I’m done looking for a flatbed… I have mine - phew.

Thanks once again